How to safely pay online with a credit card?
Necessary security measures when using a credit or deposit bank card for payments on the Internet.
The owner’s name, card number, expiration date and CVV2 / CVC2 code are the information that you share when making transactions with a bank card on the Internet.
Internet fraudsters also hunt for these details, inventing more and more sophisticated methods of deception every year that are not recognized by inexperienced network users.
If you want to increase the level of your computer and Internet literacy, while also taking care of the safety of your hard-earned, it will be useful to familiarize yourself with the following.
The most commonly used methods of stealing bank card details:
- Phishing . If it’s simpler and in Russian – the substitution of the site on which the payment is made. If you don’t go into technical details, the bottom line is that when you go to the page with the form for entering details, you will see an exact copy of the page you already know, with a slight difference, not noticeable at first glance. This page can be generated by malware that is already on your computer or already located on the Internet. And then the mechanism is simple – you share your payment data, and after a while you find a lack of funds in the account.
- Another way scammed by Internet scammers is a keylogger or keylogger . Another bad program that can be installed along with useful software downloaded from unverified Internet resources. The function of the program is to record all keystrokes, and after that – transfer collected information, including all logins, passwords and other details to the hands of scammers.
- Well, the last, most recognizable way is social engineering . The bottom line is simple – a sweetheart, USAA Routing Number also to use for money transfer he is a fraudster, introducing himself as an employee of the bank where you are serving, using a convincing excuse he asks you to share your confidential information with him. In this case, various psychological techniques are used.
How to protect yourself using a bank card on the Internet:
- To get started – install a good antivirus and do not forget to update it regularly. If you haven’t gotten a paid defender yet, don’t disdain it for free, for example, Avast Antivirus, it updates itself, the computer remains clean and sound.
- For greater reliability, use a personal firewall (aka firewall, firewall).
- Do not use someone else’s computer to make payments. Even if this is the apparatus of your closest friend. Despite the usefulness of the punto switcher program, its function of storing all user-entered information, logins, passwords, and the like, can do you a disservice.
- Updating the operating system immediately after its release will also be a very useful action. Since the unauthorized installation of malware is more susceptible to older versions of the OS.
- When working directly in the browser with the form in which you fill out your data, pay attention to the address bar. All information of financial importance is transmitted over a secure connection. The visual sign in the address bar will be the lock, the address prefix starting with https: // and highlighting in yellow. By clicking on the lock you can see information about the site, which organizations confirm the authenticity of the site and how safe it is to visit. Pay attention to the spelling of the rest of the address of the site. Do not confuse the lowercase “o” and zero, L and 1. Remember the correct spelling of the site name if the name consists of several words. They can be written in different ways, for example, vivabank.ru, viva-bank.ru, viva.bank.ru.
- Having found in your e-mail inbox a letter from your bank, everything you read there is information about new promotions and products, or an offer to undergo an anonymous survey. An official source is not required to ask anything else.
If in the letter you are offered to click on any link, copy it to the browser line through the clipboard, do not click immediately. Another and not always friendly site may be hidden behind it.
- In the event that a representative of the bank or mobile service has contacted you with a request to open the data on your card – number, CVV2 / CVC2 code, expiration date, ask again what number you should call back. After that, contact the service that expressed this request directly and ask if they really were interested in that question, and if they had the number previously left by their agent. Reinsurance will never be superfluous.
To ensure even more reliable protection of your funds, and the convenience of cash transactions, take an interest in the topic of virtual cards.
Following these several conditions, you can save your money and time. Be vigilant, trust, but verify!